In the beginning....
Hengrove Athletic F.C was formed in 1948 from players who were demobbed from National Service.
As a footnote, there is also wartime history to the club colours of green and white. With rationing and many shortages, football shirts were virtually unobtainable, so all of the members of Hengrove Athletic F.C donated an ordinary white shirt and a mother of one of the players kindly dyed them green in the bath at her Knowle home. The colour green had no symbolic meaning. It was the only colour available at the time! The founding fathers of Hengrove Athletic F.C then agreed to retain these colours for the new club.
A successful application was made to join the Bristol and Suburban League and they were placed in Division 3 for the start of 1948-49 season. A Reserve XI was established in 1950 and in the same year Hengrove Hall was rented for club meetings and social gatherings. The club continued to expand and the ‘A’ XI started in 1953, followed by the 30-plus XI in 1959. These four football teams made Hengrove Athletic F.C the largest club in the Bristol and Suburban League at the time – after just eleven years. A ‘B’ XI replaced the 30 plus in 1962.
The long search for a ground came to fruition on Sunday 7 June 1964 when Norton Lane was officially opened and Hengrove Athletic F.C took up residence.
The first XI was accepted by the Somerset Senior League for the 1974-75 season, where they remained until 2005-2006 when they were runaway, unbeaten, Premier Division Champions and joined the Western League for the start of the 2006-07 season.
Our Floodlights and Stand were installed at the ground in 2007-2008 to achieve the necessary ground grading of the Western League. The EWW Stand was installed at the ground in 2012-2013 to achieve the necessary ground grading of entry into the FA Cup and future possible promotions.
The first XI finished runners-up in Western League Division One in 2012/13, achieving promotion to the Premier Division. They also lifted the Les Phillips League Cup (Western League) in 2015-2016 before winning promotion to the Premier Division again the following season.
Our Reserves currently play in the Somerset County League Division 1.
Senior Club Honours
Alf Bosley Cup Winners (Bristol & Suburban League) - 1958/59 and 1963/64
Somerset Junior Cup Winners - 1964/65
Somerset League Cup Winners - 1979/80
Somerset Senior Cup Winners - 1979/80
Promoted to Somerset County Premier Div – 1995/96
Somerset Senior Cup Runners-Up – 2003/04 and 2004/05
Somerset County Premier Division Winners – 2005/06
Toolstation Western League Div One Runners -Up – 2012/13 and 2016/17
Les Phillips League Cup Winners (Western League) – 2015/16